Skip to content
Making a server is easy.
Whether in Linux or Windows.
- Create a folder somewhere that will be the server folder.
- Copy the contents of the mod pack client folder to this folder.
- Download the installer for the version of Forge that used to make the pack from https://files.minecraftforge.net
- move this installer jar to the server folder
- open your shell
- enter the server folder you created
- use the command
java -jar name_of_installer.jar --installServer
- a bunch of stuff will happen
- At this point the server is created but not debugged
Start the server
- in your shell get a directory listing (Linux:
- There will be a new jar file that doesn’t say installer and starts with Forge, this is the file you will be executing, note it down.
- From your shell to start the server do
java -jar forge_no_installer.jar
- The server has started.
Debug the server (do not run the client here)
- The server you created will likely crash because quite a few mods are not server friendly or coded in such a way that they will try to load client side classes on a server. When it happens there will be a crash report. Open the file and look at the top trace block to see what crashed.
- Check to see if there is an update for the mod, if yes, update it on both the server and the client, rerun the server
- If the server crashes again on the same mod, try a lower version, make sure the client matches
- If it crashes again, remove the mod from both the server and the client
- Eventually you’ll have a running a server and client that should connect to it
Debug the client
- Great job on creating a functioning server
- now run the client that was adjusted alongside the server
- if it crashes look at the crash report and either update, rollback or remove the mod from the client and on the server if it exists
- eventually you’ll have running client
- start the server
- start the client
- enter multiplayer button on client
- click on direct connect
- enter the ip address of the server and hit connect
- in a short few moments you should now be connected to your server